Coronavirus (COVID-19) Funeral Assistance
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many families. At FEMA, our mission is to help people before, during and after disasters. We are dedicated to helping ease some of the nancial stress and burden caused by the virus.
FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID- 19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
To be eligible for funeral assistance, you must meet these conditions:
• The death must have occurred in the United
States, including the U.S. territories, and the
District of Columbia.
• The death certificate must indicate the death
was attributed to or caused by COVID-19.
• The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen
national or qualified alien who incurred funeral
expenses after January 20, 2020.
• There is no requirement for the deceased
person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien.
Examples of eligible expenses for funeral services and interment or cremation may include, but not limited to:
• Transportation for up to two people to identify the deceased individual
• The transfer of remains, a casket or urn
• A burial plot or cremation niche
• A marker or headstone
• Clergy or officiant services
• The arrangement of a funeral ceremony
• The use of funeral home equipment or staff
• Cremation or interment costs
• Costs associated with producing multiple
Please have the following information before contacting FEMA to apply:
• Your name, social security number, date of birth, mailing address and contact phone numbers.
• The name, social security number and date of birth for each deceased individual.
• The location or address where the deceased individual passed away.
• Documentation and receipts for any assistance already received from other sources, including burial orfuneral insurance, donations, voluntary agencies, other government programs or non-pro t organizations.
• If you and another person both incurred funeral expenses for the same deceased individual(s), you canalso provide that person as a co-applicant — include their name, social security number and date of birth on the application.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR THIS ASSISTANCE?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can also visit us online at FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq.
Information is provided in several languages both by telephone and the website.
Call FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Helpline at 1-844-684-6333
(TTY: 800-462-7585) from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ET, Monday – Friday and begin the application process.
For fastest service following your application, you can begin submitting documentation online through Disasterassistance.gov,
by fax 855-261-3452. Documents may also be mailed to:
COVID-19 Funeral Assistance
P.O. Box 10001 Hyattsville, MD 20782
In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to maintain the highest degree of professionalism and dignity to the families we are privileged to serve, our funeral homes, in accordance with Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and PA Department of Health sets out the following guidelines.
IN THE EVENT OF A DEATH:
In the event of a residential death, nursing home, or hospice house, our staff will continue to respond immediately, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will respond as soon as possible to Hospitals once the deceased is released. If a death has occurred, please call the funeral home directly, our phone lines are answered 24/7. The possibility exists for delay in release in the event of a Hospital Death. Our staff is fully trained and will work in conjunction with the hospital to transfer your loved one into our care as soon as possible.
We are holding public visitations. Numbers are regulated, face masks are required. Encourage social distancing.
DELAY IN SERVICES:
Human Remains, when embalmed, can be held by law for a period of 10 days before disposition (i.e. burial). If a deceased human being is held past 10 days, our funeral home will seek permission from the State Board of Funeral Directors. It is up to the State Board of Funeral Directors to grant to deny the delay in burial.
Public Memorial Services and Celebration of Life Services will be held at a later date.
ADVANCE ARRANGEMENTS – PRE-ARRANGEMENTS:
We are still making prearrangements, please call ahead to set up an appointment.
FUNERAL MASS OR SERVICE:
Please bear in mind not all churches are currently operational at this time, those that are are enforcing social distancing guidelines as well as wearing a face covering.
Please be patient with us as well all proceed cautiously though this brief change in our daily life.